About the Area
Adelaide is a city with it all, so whether you want to spend your time relaxing or exploring you won't be disappointed with what is on offer. Spend your days wandering the spacious streets, treat yourself to some retail therapy or sample the wine and produce for which Adelaide is famed.
Rundle Mall in the city's CBD is a shopper's paradise with over 600 retail stores, 15 arcades and 3 department stores. The mall is known for its entertainment value with fashion parades, buskers and street performers entertaining the passersby.
Adelaide Central Market is located in the city and offers a variety of fresh local produce including fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry, gourmet cheeses and breads. Here you will also find some of the city's funkiest cafes which offer the best coffee.
The National Wine Centre on the edge of the city is a must during any visit to Adelaide. The centre showcases the region's best wines and offers wine tasting as well as an interactive exhibit which educates on all aspects of wine making and working in a vineyard.
Adelaide Zoo, adjacent to the Botanic Gardens has undergone a massive renovation and has welcomed Giant Pandas Wang Wang and Funi, the only Giant Pandas in the Southern Hemisphere and the first to live permanently in Australia. Making their public debut in December 2009, Wang Wang and Funi have now settled into their new home and welcome visitors each day.
Popular things to see and do in and around Adelaide:
- Adelaide Zoo: Visit the only Giant Pandas in the southern hemisphere! Located next to the Botanic Gardens. www.adelaidezoo.com.au
- Adelaide Hills: Just 30 minutes from the city centre, this area is bursting with historic pubs and wineries offering cellar door tastings. www.southaustralia.com
- National Wine Centre: Showcasing the best wines from the region, as well as offering tastings and an interactive exhibition on winemaking. www.wineaustralia.com.au
- Barossa and Mclaren Vale: These famous South Australian wine regions are easily accessible from Adelaide. Discover world-class wineries and enjoy cellar door tastings. www.mclarenvale.info, www.barossa.com
- Adelaide beaches: Catch the tram from outside the hotel and spend the day relaxing at the beach at the charming seaside resort of Glenelg www.glenelgsa.com.au
- Victor Harbor: Just an hour's drive from Adelaide, Victor Harbor is a famous tourist town located on the Fleurieu Peninsula. Take the horse drawn tram to Granite Island and see the Fairy Penguins. www.tourismvictorharbor.com.au